Important: Use custom search function to get better results from our thousands of pages

Use " " for compulsory search eg:"electronics seminar" , use -" " for filter something eg: "electronics seminar" -"/tag/" (used for exclude results from tag pages)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Employer offered to pay for MBA, would it be ridiculous to pass on the opportunity?

I’ve been at my current job (first after college, graduated 2 years ago) for over a year now. It’s in a lab environment, consisting of about 90% testing, and the rest being equipment documentation and client reports. Since I started, the owner has provided several opportunities for professional advancement (certifications, exams, etc.) and recently proposed to cover my MBA (~$45K). Of course, some of it would have to be paid back if I was to leave before a given amount of time.

The thing is, I am currently not interested in any shape or form in an MBA. As my current role might imply, I enjoy the technical side of things a tad more. My current goal now is to get my PE license in a few years and go from there. Just getting some experience for now. For context, most of the management is carried out by the owner (small firm, somewhat feasible), but the owner seeks to retire within the next 5-10 years and is looking for people to take those responsibilities.

In the past (e.g. my FE and PE exams) I did not skip a bit to take on the opportunity. But here I am, almost a month later, still thinking about it. Perhaps if it was a master’s in engineering, I’d be more interested, but frankly, I don’t want to go back to school. At least not now. My work schedule can be unpredictable at times and adding night/weekend school to that sounds rough. At the same time, this seems like an opportunity I might regret passing on later in life.

What do you guys think? Am I making a mistake, or should I follow my gut?

TLDR: Employer offered to pay MBA program; I’m not really interested in it. Is letting it go a mistake?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Employer co-funded training in the UK: Current practice and policy considerations project girl 1 578 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: jaseela123
  HEC Paris MBA dhanabhagya 0 292 25-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Last Post: dhanabhagya
  Gate Pass management System seminar ideas 2 5,808 11-03-2016, 11:38 AM
Last Post: mkaasees
  Getting to an Internship as an Evening MBA dhanabhagya 0 115 28-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Last Post: dhanabhagya
Video Comparative study of Home Loan scheme offered by the HDFC bank study tips 0 1,169 05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Last Post: study tips
  All Students of Pre-final year of 4-year and 5-year progrmmes and MBA students study tips 0 748 06-03-2013, 10:16 AM
  It's fine to get an MBA but don't be an MBA study tips 0 363 22-02-2013, 12:43 PM
  Effect of Demographic Factors on Emotional Intelligence: A Study among MBA Students study tips 0 850 15-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  Overview of International MBA programs study tips 0 434 09-02-2013, 12:28 PM
  Managing Employer-Employee Conflict: A Case For Arbitration And The Model Employment project girl 0 429 07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Last Post: project girl
This Page May Contain What is Employer offered to pay for MBA, would it be ridiculous to pass on the opportunity? And Latest Information/News About Employer offered to pay for MBA, would it be ridiculous to pass on the opportunity?,If Not ...Use Search to get more info about Employer offered to pay for MBA, would it be ridiculous to pass on the opportunity? Or Ask Here

Options: